Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Rosie On Vacation - Part III

This is a little early, but I have a feeling the most productive part of today is over, so I can sum up:
  1. Lay around on the couch for three straight hours in my PJs reading more of The Thirteenth Tale.
  2. Went on a 4.25 mile (approx) walk on the beach and found an AWESOME conch shell. My resolve crumbled and I brought it home.
  3. Finished The Thirteenth Tale. Out-bloody-standing.
  4. Bought a bunch of Christmas presents online. Dear god, I love Amazon.com.
  5. Played video games/board games/watched movies for the rest of the night.**
Also, my ponderance for the evening: The big deal about Scarlett Johansson. Sexiest woman alive? Really? I mean, yeah, she's a pretty girl, and yeah, she's got great curves, and yes, she is a preternaturally good actress (I direct your attention to such movies as The Prestige and Girl with a Pearl Earring...) But she's just not a great beauty in my opinion. This came to mind as I was considering this movie poster and this still for The Other Boleyn Girl (great book by the way too; Philippa Gregory has a great grasp on the fashions and culture of the time, not to mention absorbing plot and characters, but I will admit it's strictly fluff. That, and she has a habit of wrapping her stories up too quickly. The Boleyn Inheritance was a bit of a change from that standard, but overall, it's like she's exhausted and just wants to finish it already. But I digress WAY off subject...), and there's Eric Bana in the middle but let's all admit, no one is looking at him. Everyone's attention is focused on the two faces on which it should be focused: Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman. Now, Natalie? Classic beauty from the time she was 12 years old, and an equally qualified or superior actress (Star Wars prequels notwithstanding, but you can't blame her entirely for that - an actor/actress is limited by the ability and vision of the writer and/or director). But Scarlett? Pretty, sure, but as far as my opinion is concerned, she should avoid being in the same frame as Miss Portman. However, in her defense, I will say she runs circles about her predecessor, Jessica Biel, and is a far better actress.

**Indicates that the writing was done prior to completion of this activity, but one can speculate that it is what the future holds.

No comments: