Sunday, November 11, 2007

Rosie On Vacation - Part I

To begin with, sorry if this blog post is a little screwy - I'm writing this after two heavy whiskey sours and a glass and a half of wine... and very little water because, while I used to think Northern VA water tasted like ass, I hadn't tried Outer Banks water before and I now have a whole new appreciation for my local garbage. May I add, all hail the Brita pitcher (thanks again Ron!)
****************************

So here I am in the Outer Banks, as you mayhave guessed. Corrolla Beach, to be specific. A couple of friends of mine are getting married here on the 17th, and we got an unbelievable deal on a beach house for the week, and I'm at a nice break point between submittals, so it seemed an ideal time for us to take a vacation. We're down here till the 18th and this will be a completely different sort of vacation for me. Namely in the sense that I don't plan to do a single damn thing of value between now and Saturday when I show up to wish my friends well. But I should stop now before I run out of material for Saturday's congratulations post.

ANYWAY. Maybe it's a byproduct of my having grown up on the East Coast, but I don't see the point or sense in paying lots and lots of money to go to a beach and do nothing but lay around for a week. And maybe it's a function of my intelligence being largely scholastic rather than social that, when I go to a place loaded with historical or cultural significance, I can't help myself from rushing around to soak as much of it up as I can. Husband and I don't do "nothing" well unless we're at home, and most of our "vacations" consist of things that would exhaust the hell out of the ordinary person.

But we're going to try our damndest to be lazy bums this week. Or at least, mostly.

So, for my first update for anyone back home who might be keeping up, here's a recap of most of what we did today:
  1. Walked on the beach and collected intact and interesting shells that I really have no planned purpose for but can't help myself about.
  2. Watched the last half hour of a Project Runway rerun, which I have never seen before and am not likely to add to my Tivo Season Pass list, but it was moderately entertaining anyway.
  3. Climbed the Currituck Lighthouse, which is probably in walking distance from our beach house. Definitely qualifies as the most interesting/educational/active thing we did all day, considering that the lighthouse is 130-odd years old and involved a 214-stair climb but provided some sweet views (pics coming in the recap post).
  4. Watched the Skins hand over the game to the Philadelphia Freakin Eagles.
  5. Took a nap.
  6. Embarrassed myself on Wii MarioParty (WALUIGI NUMBER ONE!)
  7. Schooled my friends on XBox 360 "Scene It."
  8. Watched my friends pretend to be rock stars on "Guitar Hero."
WHO KNOWS WHAT THE REST OF THE EVENING WILL HOLD!! Staying up past midnight? Eating too much dessert? Playing our music too loud? THAT'S RIGHT BABY! ANYTHING GOES! YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME! Wait,... what?

Now if you don't mind, I have a glass of wine to finish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guitar Hero is awesome and I am totally a rock star. DO NOT DISPUTE ME!!!!!!